Before Mike and I head out on our adventure on Wednesday, I wanted to get Droid tethering working so that we can blog about our horrific roadside deaths as they happen (I am a progeny of web2.0, after all).
The process only took an afternoon and was surprising straightforward. Here are the steps I followed.
I followed these steps without much snag. I did have to google for a copy of RSD Lite 4.6 and fare the unsavory waters of mediafire, but that wasn’t a big deal. The most complex part of this step was operating a Windows 7 machine without getting violently sick.
I googled around for a Droid ROM that was reputed to have good battery life and found this steaming pile of gloss. I flashed it in pretty much the same way that the root patch was flashed, first clearing all data from the phone:
wipe data/factory reset,
Allow update.zip installation,
Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated).
Make sure you do step 3; I ended up in a bootloop the first time I tried this because of a dirty cache.
If you’re on one of the major Linux distros, namely Ubuntu or Fedora, you’re done: see this guy’s page.
If, on the other hand, you regularly forgo sex in lieu of supporting inanity like “design principles” in software, you may be an Arch Linux user. If so, there’s a little work left to be done.
android-sdk-platform-tools from AUR. I had to
enable multilib mirrors in
/etc/pacman.conf to find the dependencies necessary
Make sure your Droid is connected during install. Follow the instructions included in his original README.
Feels good, bro.